It takes only 7.4 seconds for a recruiter to make up his/her mind to hire a candidate only by looking at their resume. And so, if you are someone who wants to become a Data Scientist and wants to grab the opportunity in the first go, make sure to create an exceptional
Data Scientist Resume. For this purpose, you can read ahead. This guide on how to write a Data Scientist resume will provide you with knowledge on the importance of the resume. In addition, you will also get to know the tips on do’s and don’ts of writing a resume.
How important is a Well-crafted Data Scientist Resume?
A resume plays a significant role in highlighting your profile for a particular job role. Whether you are applying for an entry-level position or a profile that demands experience, having a well-crafted resume can play an instrumental role in the shortlisting phase.
One needs to focus on the right format of the resume before using it. For example, a Data Scientist’s resume for a fresher will be different from a Data Scientist’s resume for a Professional. So, checking out the Data Scientist resume sample will help in making the right choice.
As a first step in their career, organizations expect a resume from the applicant along with a cover letter and portfolio. Based on the resume’s effectiveness, the Data Scientists can find their way through promising organizations. The importance of a Data Scientist’s resume is as follows:
Finding the right role:
With the field of Data Science expanding rapidly and 11.5 million new job roles created by 2026, opportunities are huge. And with the help of the right resume highlighting adequate skills and experiences, you can find yourself filling one of the positions.
Creating the First Impression:
Customizing your resume to depict all your skills, strengths, career goals and objectives creates an epic first impression. You resume should be crafted in a way that it instantly highlights your profile to be a perfect fit for the job.
Standing out from the crowd:
Recruiters scan through hundreds of resumes in a day, and hence, it is important that you differentiate yourself from the crowd. Accordingly, highlight your different skills and experiences, efficient project work and your Data Scientists objective in your resume. This will help you display your skills and proficiency.
Driving the Interview Conversation:
When you sit for an interview, you will often find the hiring managers bring your resume with them. Based on the resume, they ask you questions and provide assessment results. Hence, you must ensure that your resume is strong and compelling.
Resumes do not directly impact your pay scale. However, it plays an essential role in signifying whether your qualifications and experience match up with the pay scale. You need to ensure that you have included all the right skills and created a portfolio that will reflect value for the company. Thus, giving your more leverage to negotiate the salary.
What should you include in your Data Science Resume?
While a resume that includes all the necessary skills, experiences, qualifications and certifications is good for securing a job, but having a strong social media profile is also significant. Creating a LinkedIn profile helps you connect with like-minded individuals and network with skilled Data Scientists. This becomes crucial if you are a fresher.
Having a strong LinkedIn profile where you highlight your expertise and skills by regularly sharing updates on the industry creates a positive impact. However, to make your Data Scientist Resume you need to know the pattern and the key things that you must include in your resume. This section will cover all that you require to create an exciting resume.
Also Read? LinkedIn Data Scientist Salary Trend
Name and Contact Information:
Whether you are creating an entry-level Data Scientist resume or a professional one, the first requisite within your resume is your name and contact details which the recruiter will identify and contact you through, Make sure to keep your details seamless and prominent enough for the recruiter to connect with you and ensure that all your details are accurate. Accordingly, you should include the following:
- Email ID
- Phone Number
- LinkedIn Profile, Portfolio or GitHub Profile
A Data Scientist’s objective in a resume is one of the most crucial points which helps a recruiter understand your current position in the industry and your future aspirations. If you are a fresher, make sure to include what your career goals are and what you want to accomplish as a Data Scientist. In case you are an experienced professional, summarise your experiences and skills in this section and provide an idea of where you want to see yourself as a professional Data Scientist. There are a few points you can keep in mind while writing this section of the resume:
- Make sure that you narrate your professional story with complete sentences rather than a bulleted list.
- You should include your years of experience as a professional Data Scientist or similar roles.
- Don’t miss mentioning the industry you are working in and if you wish to expand your industrial experience in a different sector.
- Mention the different kinds of roles that you have worked in.
The Data Science resume for professionals with experience needs to include your journey as an expert in your industry. Accordingly, you should list the following:
- Display your work history in reverse chronological order, with the most current work at the top and the others below.
- Specify your title, company name, and work period.
- Add 1-2 lines about what you were in charge of.
- List the duties that you completed regularly.
- Showcase your results—if you have created quantitative results, include them. “I constructed a production prediction engine in Python website that helped cut crude oil profit loss by 22%,” for example.
- In case you are a fresher but have only intern experience, make sure that your Data Science Internships are included within this section.
- If you have any awards or recognitions, include them.
Showing your hiring manager about the various projects that you have worked on will help you demonstrate your capabilities and catch the eyes of the manager. You need to be careful while mentioning the tasks. It should be relevant to the job role. Additionally, you can write 1-2 lines of summary regarding the project and the business context. With this, you can showcase your technical expertise in using tools and processes for the project.
It is one of the most important parts of the resume. Hence, you should include all the relevant skills you have acquired while working within an organisation. Moreover, if it is a Data Scientist Resume for freshers, you should ensure that you include all the skills you have developed from your graduate or certification courses. Accordingly, within this section, you should remember the following:
- Keep your skills evaluation short
- Include all the skills relevant to the job role
- You can repeat any skills or experience you mentioned in the career objective section here.
Considering that the Data Science job market lacks a supply of proficient Data Scientists, hiring managers to consider candidates without a formal degree as well. However, you need to have hands-on experience in Data Science. This section should include the following:
- List of the post-secondary degree certifications from college to graduate degrees
- Year of graduation
- If you are a new graduate, you should mention the relevant subjects that you have studied.
- In case you took up a certification course from Pickl.AI in Data Science, provide the certificate in this section.
Awards and Recognition:
This is an additional section where you can mention your accomplishments from your workplace. In the case of an experienced professional or from your college level. You can also include competition results from Kaggle or GitHub awards, if any.
Data Science Resume Sample-
Tips for Creating an Outstanding Data Science Resume
You need to know how to stand out from the crowd and create a fantastic Data Science resume. Accordingly, here are some tips that can be helpful for you:
You must first research what the company is looking for and include all the pointers in the resume. For this, make sure to include the necessary aspects, like reading and re-reading the job role description. Make sure that you thoroughly read all the details. You can read the “About Us” page, which will help you know about the company’s values and mission. Additionally, check out the company’s blogs which will help acquire more details about the company and what it is trying to convey. Furthermore, use your research abilities and use external resources to learn about the presence and image of the company.
Choose a good template and design
A well-designed resume creates a good impression on hiring managers. Thus, it helps them know about your personality, which reflects in your resume design. So make sure that you scour through different samples of Data Science fresher resumes on LinkedIn or other online portals, and structure your resume accordingly.
Organise Resume Layout
Make sure that your resume is organised systematically chronologically, starting from your contact details and career objectives to skills, experiences, education, certification and awards.
Resumes must be customized based on the different job roles in Data Science. Accordingly, you must ensure that you know the company culture and include them in your resume.
What can you avoid in your Data Science Resume?
- Make sure you include only a little information, as it becomes counterproductive. Hence, stick to the relevancy of the job role.
- Information relevant to your gender, race, marital status, or sexual orientation is irrelevant within your application. So make sure to avoid including them in your resume.
- Make sure that you avoid any sort of grammatical or spelling errors as it results in a bad impression.
- You do not need to make your resume too colorful and ensure you do not use any unprofessional language.
- You should avoid exaggerating about your qualifications and experiences that you have had as it might result in losing your opportunity.
By now, you would be aware of the do’s and don’ts of how to write a Data Science resume. Make sure to use this blog as a guide while curating your own resume. And so, with this, you will be able to acquire a significant position based on your career goals.